Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Daddy's Favorite Cookies

Although I have been baking these cookies at least three or four years, I have never actually posted the recipe or even written it down.  I do want to share these with you all because they are that good.  I will not take all the credit for these wondrously delicious cookies, as they are a mish-mosh of sorts, a perfected finale of past failures in the kitchen.  Ladies and gentlemen, without further adieu, I present to you...

Snickers and Twix Cookies
adapted from Nestle Toll House

Back in the way back, when I knew nothing about baking, I would buy a bag of the Nestle Toll House Semi-sweet chocolate chips and make the recipe for the cookies on back.  Sometime around my 100th batch, I had an epiphany and some left over Halloween candy.  The cookies you see below were the result. You see, the original recipe calls for 2 cups of chocolate chips, but ya girl only had a slim half-cup (late night snacking--don't ask) and had to improvise.  What does a girl do when she is low on chocolate chips? Rummage through cabinets for something that will suffice because you already have the mixer going, beating the heck outta your butter.  You find that lone, half eaten bag of Snickers and Twix bars and get to chopping.  Then you have another epiphany!  What if I add in something spicy, something cinnamony?  I just happened to have some left over cinnamon chips from my chewy peanut butter cookies (I'll post that one later) and wanted to see if they'd do these bad boys any justice.  And oh yeah baby, they did.

One more thing...we (my family) generally eat very wholesome food, definitely homemade and very little eating out.  BUT, we do indulge and do NOT ever feel guilty about it.  That being said, I am now making these with organic cane sugar, organic flour, butter, eggs, and when I put my foot in it--that's organic too.  Kidding.

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 sticks butter, softened to room temp (you could use margarine but if you do, I can't be your friend)
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    One and a half  teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    2 each Snickers and Twix candy bars chopped (or more!)
    1 cup chopped nuts (I always add more)
    Half a bag or more of cinnamon chips

    -Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.  This is not a typo, 300 degrees, trust me.  
    -In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt--set aside.
    -Beat your butter in your stand mixer until it is light and fluffy.  This can take a while and will vary depending on the temperature of your home.  Basically, you want to push as much air as possible through your butter until it becomes light and fluffy and pale yellow in color.
    -Add sugars and mix well.  Scrape down the sides of your bowl to make sure all the butter is incorporated.  
    -Add eggs one at a time until well mixed.  Add vanilla.
    -Add in flour mixture, one large spoonful at a time, making sure it is mixed well.
    -Add in your Twix and Snickers, nuts, and cinnamon chips.  Here is where things can literally get "bumpy"...make sure you add in a little at a time so your mixer can catch up.  You may want to stir these in so you do not overwork your mixer.  Take this sage advice from me, someone who killed her KitchenAid in the middle of making butter pecan ice cream.    
    -Scoop these on to your cookie sheet and stick them in the oven until they are JUST golden around the edges and still mushy and kind of raw looking in the middle.  Trust me, when you take them out of the oven there will still be several minutes of carry over cooking time and they will finish.  Please do not over cook, you will have a crispy cookie and if you like crispy cookies, this is fine, but I cannot be your friend!  
    -Let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer then to a wire cooling rack to set.  
    -Enjoy them in the privacy of your own home so you do not have to share them with anyone.  The cookie dough freezes extremely well.


    xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line or two...