Monday, October 8, 2012

It's Monday, FOR SURE!

You know, I really don't want to but I'm going to because it will make me feel better...

I call Kaiser and advise I have a question related to my 28 week blood glucose test for PREGNANCY.  The operator asks a few questions then transfers me to an advice nurse.  Great, I get right through (this is odd for a Monday)!  The nurse introduces herself and confirms my identity.  The first question I ask is, "Are you a prenatal nurse?"  She answers somewhat defensively, "I'm an advice nurse and I can help you."  The conversation goes down from there right along with my level of patience, which is shorter than usual since I'm working with pregnancy hormones.

Basically, she asked me the same questions multiple times, suggested nonsensical solutions to my problem and had to put me on hold to ask a PRENATAL nurse questions that she committed to being knowledgeable enough to answer in the first place.  Why?  She also claimed there were no earlier appointments available when I tried to reschedule my 4 pm appointment.

Okay I'll admit, blogging about this did not make me feel any better but I did hang up with the first nurse and called right back.  Not only was I able to reschedule my appointment but I also found out that neither the original operator nor the non-prenatal nurse followed standard Kaiser phone protocol.  Ugh, oh well.

On a happier note, I like to look at this picture every now and then so I can have a good laugh.  I don't know what movie this quote is from (I'm thinking Mel Gibson in Braveheart?), but yep, it does it for me every time!



xoxo


2 comments:

  1. What made you call Kaiser regarding your blood gluclose test; is this just routine or were you feeling sick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey mom-

      The glucose test, unless you are considered "at risk" (previous history of gestational diabetes, family history) is really not needed and can add undo harm and stress to a mother during pregnancy. Plus, if you develop gestational diabetes your doctor will manage your diagnosis with diet and exercise. Since I eat well and still exercise, this is not a concern. The drink they give you when you take the test is very, VERY sweet and disgusting. It makes my stomach ache and takes a while to go away. AND, I have to sit in the dirty hospital lab with sick people and wait for an hour. In my opinion I am more at risk of developing something just from waiting in the lab than I am of developing gestational diabetes.

      Delete

Drop me a line or two...